Genability has expanded its tariff coverage to our neighbors up north! We now have Canadian residential and commercial utilities, tariffs, riders and territories available in our Switch and Conduct products.
Our Canadian coverage includes 90% of the Canadian market including 10 provinces, 115 utility providers and over 700 tariffs.
As we’ve gathered data over the last few months, there are some interesting Canadian factoids we thought we’d share:
- 63% of the electricity generated in Canada is from hydropower (compared to 6% in the US).
- Average residential rate: 11.5 cents per kilowatt-hour.
- Average commercial rate: 7.2 cents per kilowatt-hour.
- Over 90% of customers in Ontario (the largest province) are on a Time-of-Use rate.
- Hydro-Quebec (the largest utility in Canada and the world’s largest hydroelectricity provider) offers a dual-energy tariff where the rates are determined by the temperature measured on the meter and the source switches between fuel and electricity. In extremely cold weather, the fuel source serves as a backup and reduces overall grid demand.
If you’re interested in getting access to Canadian rates, let us know. We’ll have rates for Australia available in June and Mexico later this summer. Reach out and let us know where we should go next!