As one of the sponsors of the Cleanweb Hackathon in NewYork this coming weekend, (1/21 – 1/22), we would like to spotlight some of the local utilities and associated tariff data that Genability makes available for usage and analysis.
Genability provides extensive residential data coverage for all of NY, NJ and CT. The New York and Connecticut area has some of the highest residential electric rates in the country, almost twice the national average. Some of the dominant utilities in the areas are:
- Consolidated Edison serving New York City and Westchester County
- Orange and Rockland serving southeastern New York and adjacent areas of northern New Jersey
- Long Island Power Authority servingNassau and Suffolk and Queens Counties on Long Island, NY
- PSEG serves Northern New Jersey, including New Jersey ‘s six largest cities.
- Jersey Central serving Central NJ
- Connecticut Light & Power serving Connecticut
- Central Hudson serving New York State’s Mid-Hudson River Valley.
- Niagara Mohawk d/b/a National Grid serving upstate New York
We also encourage you to tap into the commercial and industrial tariffs we track for Consolidated Edison, Long Island Power Authority, PSEG, Jersey Central (Central NJ) and Connecticut Light & Power (CT).
As is usually the case, the devil is in the details and our tools (APIs and Genability Explorer) can be used to unbundle and gain insight into complex rate schedules and electricity price trends.
- For Consolidated Edison, which has the distinction of being one of the most expensive utilities in the nation, Genability offers daily market supply charge updates. The Market Supply Charge is the major component of your total electricity supply cost per kWh and recovers all costs incurred by the utility to purchase electricity in the open market for customers who do not have an alternate energy supplier. Market supply charges vary significantly on a day-today basis ands also between the territories where Consolidated Edison operates.
- Central Hudson offers multiple On-Peak periods to choose from for their residential customers, 8am-8pm, 9am-9 pm & 10am – 10 pm. With our tools, we can certainly help figure out the appropriate plan to choose.
- National Grid offers service in seven territories with noticeable and meaningful differences in the generation rates.
With accurate data and appropriate analysis tools, making informed decisions about available rate plans and electricity usage becomes much easier.