We’re excited to be participating at the HAPI Hackathon Weekend June 10-12 here in San Francisco. If you’ve never been to a hackathon it basically works like this:
- Friday, developers brainstorm for ideas and form teams around those
- Saturday, the teams begin hacking away and do so throughout the weekend
- Sunday afternoon, prizes are awarded by each of the participating API companies to the top mashups
We will be giving away at least $250 or an Energy Monitoring Device, winner’s choice, to the best idea we see built around Genability’s APIs. We’re really looking forward to seeing what creative ideas people come up with. To give the creative juices a kickstart, here are some ways our APIs can be extended:
- give an accurate total cost of ownership for home appliances based on shopper location. The appliances’ info such as power consumption is available via Best Buy’s APIs
- calculate a utility bill based on a consumer’s actual usage and location. This can be extended to provide a cost estimate for varying behavior.
- use real time pricing and forecasting to optimize data center traffic across regions. Think of it as Amazon’s Weighted Round Robin with additional intelligence. Given the energy expenses at data centers, this has a very tangible benefit.
Over the next few days we’ll be tweeting/writing about ideas for what to do with our APIs. In the meantime, if you’ve got some coding skills and some creative ideas, stop by HAPI Hack. The signup is on the link above. Hope to see you there!